Terms & Conditions
Access to and use of any and all text, images and data files on the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation's Web site (the home page at www.huntbotanical.org and any and all pages that contain the following in their URL, www.huntbotanical.org) are subject to the following terms and conditions. By using this site, you agree to the Terms and Conditions. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, please do not use the site. If you have any questions, please contact the Institute.
1. Copyright laws protect the software, documentation, electronic text, image files, data files, audio and video clips and other material (Materials) on the Web site of the Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation (the Institute). The Institute retains all rights to these Materials.
2. Individuals or organizations other than, or in addition to, the Institute may hold copyright or other proprietary rights to Materials on the Web site. For example, contemporary artists featured in current exhibitions retain copyright of their work. Such works may not be copied or downloaded without prior permission from the holder of the underlying copyright. The Institute in conjunction with Carnegie Mellon University, of which the Institute is a research division, will, in appropriate circumstances, take action against users who infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.
3. The Materials on this Web site are available only for limited non-commercial, educational (teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, commentary and news reporting) and personal (non-commercial and domestic, by an individual involving the making of only a single copy of any one digital image) use or for fair use as defined in the United States copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own non-commercial, non-print use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions that may apply to the individual file or program. Users must cite the author and source of the Materials as they would for any printed work. The citations must include the URL, www.huntbotanical.org. See Citing the Web site for examples. For commercial and/or print use of Materials from our site, please contact the Institute. Please note that downloaded images will have a resolution of 100 dpi. These images would be adequate for use on a Web site, in a PowerPoint presentation and in a laser-printed document. However, professionally printed journals, magazines and newsletters, etc., generally require 300 dpi TIFF images. For all print usage (both commercial and non-commercial), you must contact the Institute for permission. See Research and Imaging Services for a list of the fees.
4. Anyone wishing to use the Materials from this site for purposes other than fair use as defined by law (including for print) must contact the Institute to request and receive written approval. Permission is granted on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of the Institute and may be subject to fees. See Research and Imaging Services for a list of the fees.
5. The Institute strictly prohibits the copying, display, publication, distribution, modification or exploitation in any manner for commercial use, including commercial publication, or for personal gain of any of the Materials on this site without the express permission of the Institute.
6. The Institute does not warrant the quality, accuracy or completeness of any material on the site. This site could include technical or other mistakes, inaccuracies or typographical errors. All Materials on the Web site are provided "As is" without a warranty of any kind, either express or implied. The Institute reserves the right to make any changes to the Materials on this site, including the prices and descriptions of any products listed, at any time without notice. The Materials on this site may be out of date, and the Institute makes no commitment to update such Materials. Neither the Institute nor any party involved in the creation, production or delivery of this site is responsible for any harm that results from your browsing or using the site. The Institute assumes no responsibility and shall not be liable for any damages to or viruses that may infect your computer equipment or other property on account of your use of the site or your downloading of any Materials from the site.
7. The Institute is not responsible for the content of any site that is linked to or from its pages. These links are merely for the convenience of our users. Your linking to any off-site pages or other sites is at your own risk.
8. As a normal part of its functionality the Web server software used at this site automatically generates a log (record) of the use of this Web site. These logs contain computer IP addresses, paths used to access the site and other logistical information. Apart from the logs the Institute's site does not directly or indirectly capture or store personal information. This log is used for the general administration of this site and to generate statistical information on usage. Any interdepartmental records compiled from the logs will analyze usage by geographic references and not by individual identification. We will not provide any information on the logs to any other party. Use of this site constitutes agreement to the recording of such information.
9. We read every email message that we receive and try to respond within five business days. If you email the Institute using the email address listed on this site, your message and email address will be forwarded to the appropriate department or individual. The department may choose to save your information in case you decide to contact us again. However, we do not compile lists or databases of email or any contact information generated from queries or comments received via the site. We do not share any contact information with any company or institution. Note that as a function of their service, email service providers backup email files periodically. Therefore email files sent to the Institute may be on backup storage disks on file at your or the Institute's email service provider or affiliated network organizations.
10. For site security purposes, the Institute's Web server software monitors network traffic for unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or otherwise cause damage. If such attempts are made, measures will be taken to deny access, and appropriate legal measures will be taken.
11. The Institute reserves the right to revise these Terms and Conditions from time to time by updating this page. You are subject to the most current version and periodically should visit this page to review the Terms and Conditions. For more information about copyright and intellectual property, please visit the United States Copyright Office Web site.